Saturday 28 February 2015

READING COMPREHENSION: WORLD FOOD

Read the text and answer all the questions.
The key is below the text.
Have a nice day! :)

WORLD FOOD 


Before you read 
1 Where is your favourite restaurant?
2 What food from different countries do you like?

Read World Food and put these questions in the correct place in the text. 
a What is the strangest food you have eaten?
b Can cheap food be good food?
c What is the biggest meal you have ever had?
d What’s your favourite restaurant?

Last week I spoke to Monica McGibney, a well-known restaurant owner in Harrogate, North Yorkshire. I asked her about different food from around the world. 
First of all I asked her, 1____________________________________________________________. ‘Mine of course!’ laughed Monica. ‘No, actually, my favourite restaurant is in Spain, on the coast of Majorca. They have the best seafood in the world and the restaurant is only thirty metres from a wonderful beach and the Mediterranean!’ 
2 _______________________________________________________________. She didn’t have to think about it for very long. ‘A steak house in the very south of Argentina. I think I had about half a cow on my plate – together with a mountain of chips! It was far too much for me.’ 
My next question. 3 _______________________________________________________________. ‘Yes, I think it can. I had a wonderful meal when I was in Egypt with my husband, well, he was my boyfriend at that time. We had fried bean balls called ‘tamaya’. We had about ten balls each, together with some great bread and some yoghurt with mint. It was incredibly good and it cost less than one euro!’ 
Finally I asked Monica, 4 ____________________________________________________________. ‘I’ve had a lot of strange food,’ laughed Monica. ‘I remember some bean cakes I had in Vietnam. They were a little strange but I think the strangest food in the world was a meal I had in Poland. I was staying with some friends of mine in Poznan and they took me to a local restaurant. They told me I had to try something called ‘bigos’. I had no idea what it was but I agreed to try it. I’ll try anything once! Anyway, the waiter brought it to our table and the smell was wonderful! Bigos is a special Polish dish made with meat in a special sauce with plums, apples, and cabbage. It was very strange but also very, very good. Once a month I have a Polish evening in my restaurant. We have special Polish soup, Polish dumplings, and, of course, Polish bigos!’ 

Complete the chart. 


What did Monica eat?
She says it was…
In Spain

A great place for a restaurant
In Egypt
tamaya

In Vietnam


In Poland


In Argentina



Answer these questions about yourself:
1 Which countries do you think have the best food in the world?
2 Which is the best restaurant where you live?
3 What is the biggest meal you have ever eaten?
4 What was the cheapest meal you have eaten?
5 What is the strangest food that you have eaten? 


KEY 

Put these questions in the correct place:
1d; 2c; 3b; 4a
Complete the chart:

What did Monica eat?
She says it was…
In Spain
See food
A great place for a restaurant
In Egypt
Tamaya
Very good and cheap
In Vietnam
bean cakes
A Little strange
In Poland
Bigos
Strange but very good
In Argentina
steak
Far too much for her


No comments:

Post a Comment